How to List a Product You Want to Buy
How do I list a forest product that I want to buy?
If you have an item you want to buy, you can post it in the Wanted listings of the WoodsourceBC website (viewable under the Wanted Menu of the website). To post a listing here, you have to first create the listing in your personal account pages. (If you do not yet have an account set up, you'll need to create an account). When you create and approve listings in your account, they are automatically posted to the Wanted listings.
To post a listing to your account:
- Click on the My Account button on the top right corner of the website. The following page opens:
- Click on the Create a New Listing button. The following page opens:
- Under the Type of Listing, choose Wanted and Product.
- Under the Listing Title section, enter a Title for the product you want in the entry box.
- Under the Forest Region section, click on the Show Natural Resource District Options (Required Information) link to open the region selection map. If you are from British Columbia select the Natural Resource District that the product must be delivered to.
- Under the Species section, click on the Show Species Options (Required Information) link to open the Species options. Check one of the species radio buttons shown that best matches the product you want to buy. If none match, check Other, then enter the name of the species in the entry box below.
- Under the Product section, click on the Show Products (Required Information) link to open the Products options. Check one of the Product radio buttons shown that best matches to the product you require. If none match, check Other, then enter the type of product in the entry box below.
- Under the About the Product section, click on the Show Product Options (Required Information) link to open the Products options.
Note: When you select the particular type of item you want to buy (in this case a Product) the web page will change to show entry boxes (fields) that go with that type of item. For example, if you were to select Equipment instead of Product the page would change to show different types of entry boxes that apply to equipment you are looking to buy.
Tip: In the WoodsourceBC website, each type of item (Product, Service, Transportation, Equipment) has it's own icon. This icon automatically shows up in your listing so that anyone viewing the Wanted listings on the website can easily identify a particular type of item in the listings.
For example: a Product listing will automatically have the Product icon shown beside it:
Note: This title should be a short description of the wanted product - it will appear as the heading of your listing.
Note: You can either click on a region of the map, or check the corresponding radio button to the left. Either way, your selected region will appear on the map.
This opens the following section:
Fill in the Product Section as follows:
Tip: It is important to fill in as many of the entries as possible, as this will allow sellers to find your listing more easily when using the search features of this site.
- In the Quantity entry box, enter the amount of product you want. This must be a number only.
- In the Units drop down box, choose the units that apply to the quantity above.
- In the Value box, enter the Cost you are looking for. This must be a number only, you do not need to include a dollar sign.
- In the Certification check boxes, check any certifications that apply to the product you want. You may select multiple check boxes here if they apply.
- In the Timber Condition check boxes, check any timber conditions that apply to the product you want. You may select multiple check boxes here if they apply.
- In the Description entry box, enter a detailed description of the product you want, including any extra information on the quantity, price, condition, etc. of the product.
Note: If none of the units describes the amounts you want to enter, leave the Quantity blank, and the Units at the default setting (Choose Units). Instead describe the amount in the Description entry box as described in Step 6 below.
Note:You may leave this entry box blank if you choose, and you can also give pricing expectation details in the Description entry box in Step 6.
Note: if the product you want has conditions that do not appear in the check boxes, you can select the Other check box and enter a description of the condition in the entry box beside it.
Entering an image for the Product you want
After you've filled in all the information above, you can choose to upload 1 to 3 pictures of the product you want into your listing. This is not required, so you may leave them blank.
Note: If you have a slow internet connection, you may choose to leave this procedure out for now and go ahead and finish creating your listing. After you've edited and saved your listing you can go back at any time and edit the listing by adding images, one at a time.
To add and image:
- Click on the Browse button beside the Image 1 label. In the dialog box that opens, browse to the jpeg (.jpg) file you wish to upload and click Open. The image name will then appear beside the Browse button. You can do the same for Image 2 and Image 3.
- Continue adding more listing information as described in the following steps. (When you are finished the following steps, and you click the Preview Listing button, the image you selected will then be uploaded).
Note: Image 1 will also be shown as a thumbnail image in the Wanted listings.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The WoodsourceBC site will only upload images of a certain pixel size, so that they are suitable for viewing listings on this site. The image must be greater than 580 pixels wide by 380 pixels tall and preferably should be smaller than 2600 pixels wide by 2000 pixels tall. (Images taken using most digital cameras will fit this size range). If you try to submit an image that is outside of this range it will result in a warning message that asks for a larger or smaller version of the image, and you will not be able to create a listing with the rejected image.
The program will automatically create a thumbnail size image for use in the listings, as well as a large image viewing size for when the user clicks on the image to view a slideshow.
Expiry Date for the Listing
- Click the Calendar button, then click on a date in the calendar.
- Enter a date directly into the Expiry Date entry box.
In the Listing Expiry Date section, you can choose how long to leave your listing open on this site. By default, the site creates an expiry date 30 days after creating your listing. There are two ways to choose an alternate expiry date:
Note: You can always change the expiry date later on by editing the listing in My Account.
WoodsourceBC will send you an email reminder five days prior to the expiry date, at which time you can choose to extend your expiry date.
Finishing the Listing
- When you've finished entering all the information for your listing, click the Preview Listing button at the bottom of the page. This will create a Preview of what your listing will look like.
- Please check this Preview carefully, if you need to make changes click the Edit this Listing button, and you will be taken back to the listing page to make any changes. You can click the Edit this Listing button to make changes as often as necessary until you are happy with the Preview.
- When you are happy with the Preview, click the Approve this Listing button to save this listing in your account. The final view of the listing will be displayed, and the listing will automatically be added to the Wanted page of the WoodsourceBC website.
- You can click on the Wanted menu in the WoodsourceBC website menu bar to view your listing along with all the other member listings on this site.
Important Note: Make sure you are happy with the Preview before clicking Approve this listing. Once the listing is saved, you will only be able to add/change images and edit a few details - many details will be unavailable for changes.
If you wish to edit your listing after this, for example to add images, click the My Account button at the top of the web page to Edit your listings.